Thursday, March 15, 2012

Everything's coming up clovers.

St. Patrick's Day is a fun, silly holiday at our house.

I should preface this post with the knowledge that I have ALWAYS wished I was Irish.  I always wanted to wear one of those "kiss me I'm Irish" buttons, feel lucky all the time, and relish in my Irishness.

But, I am not!  Really, not.

German, Swiss, English, no Irish anywhere.

That being said, I can't get enough of the little green guys that come around once a year causing our milk to turn green and sneaking green food coloring into our pancakes.  

I also love the idea of leprechaun traps that my boys get a chance to make in 1st grade.

My oldest son made his 3 years ago when my son, who is now in 1st grade, was 3.

I think our first grader has been thinking about his ever since, and now our preschooler is even planning his out.

Here is our latest...

We had a special shopping trip to Michael's where he got to pick out all the sparkly supplies.

Now, my husband and sister in law (who is a teacher) laugh at me because it is pretty obvious the a 6 year old didn't put all of this together.

As soon as my sil saw this she said, "Great leprechaun trap, Holly."  Ha ha!

In my defense, the instructions asked parents to work WITH their kids to make it, and I'm not letting my 6 year old use the hot glue gun, so there!

He planned it all out, even drew up a blueprint.  And here is his cute explanation of how it works...
  He is pretty stoked about it, and I wonder if he'll really catch one? :)  It's quite convincing!

Anyway, I love seeing my kids get excited about projects and this is one that never disappoints, even though those little green guys can be quite elusive.

Do you do fun things on St. Patty's Day?  Any fun traditions?  Are any of you "lucky" enough to even be Irish?

We are having our home group over for corned beef and cabbage (yet another proof that I'm not Irish 'cause I can't stand the stuff) and shamrock shakes and Guinness chocolate cake (LOVE!  I'll post the recipe on Friday.) on Saturday night.

And now, I am heading to Home Depot for green paint chips (my new fav) to make a clover banner for the mantle.  Yay!  Everything's coming up clovers around here, and I love it!

Happy Thursday!
 

No comments: