Thursday, April 26, 2012

Quinoa and Black Beans

Mollie and I are doing this detox diet with our friend Christy over at onefunmom.com.

We are only on day 4 of the 2 week program, but I am loving how changing my eating for this detox is making me feel.  

Yesterday, I was a bit tired.  I think it was just my body responding to no sugar in my body.

Today I feel great!  I feel like my body has kicked itself into energy mode.

Yay!

Mollie and I wanted to post a few recipes for family friendly, healthy meals that go along with this diet.

Today, my recipe is for Quinoa and Black Beans.

I have to admit that I had never tried Quinoa before this diet, but I like it.  And I LOVE this recipe!  Super healthy and only about 75 calories and 1.5 grams of fat per serving (Serving size is as a side dish, but you could easily add some chicken to this recipe and get a great main dish that is still very healthy.)

Here it is...

1 tsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped (I don't like onion so I leave it out, still good!)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3/4 uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (If you don't want any spice, leave it out.)
1 cup frozen corn
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped

Saute onion and garlic in oil until brown.
Add quinoa and vegetable broth.
Season with cumin, cayenne, and dash of salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil, cover, simmer for 20 minutes.
Add frozen corn and heat 5 minutes.
Mix in beans and cilantro.

Can be eaten hot or cold.  Gotta love that!

Hope you enjoy!  I'm off to drink more water...

Happy Thursday everyone!
 

1 comment:

Christy said...

I absolutely can't wait to try this! I'm new to quinoa too and having fun trying the new recipes.