Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Kitchen Mat Makeover




So this is my kitchen... Please pardon the dishes on the counter.  I have a white farmhouse sink which i LOVE and yellow walls which i hate and lovely IKEA cabinets.  My dream is to paint the kitchen white and have robins egg blue accents.  
This is the other side of the kitchen with my shower curtain hiding my washer & dryer.  Of course the jumper for the baby to help mama in the kitchen! 

These are my comfy kitchen mats. They are totally practical for standing infront of the sink to do dishes on the counter to cook and chop.  I love having them in the kitchen but they are not cute and they dont match.  So I put my thinking cap on and came up with my plan... 
First, here are the supplies you will need
Primer, Spray paint in the color of your choice (mine is Robin's Egg Blue), Acrylic paint in accent color, stencil adhesive, and a stencil (mine is from Michaels  Pack of 3 for $3.99)

Steps:

1. Clean off your mat. Wipe if off of dust and crumbs and wipe dry.

  2.  Start with one coat of primer and let it dry (ugh..)

Of course I had to check it with the paint color...not ready yet!

3.  Add another coat of primer if necessary.  Mine was...ugh. More waiting.


4.  Finally the fun part! In a well ventilated area spray paint the color of your choice. I needed two coats.

5.  Now you get to add your stencil.  Apply a light coat of the adhesive (too much will lift your paint color) and place where you want it.  Using a stippling (up and down motion) apply the acrylic paint. 



6.  Repeat until you have your finished product! 

 The only thing you have left is to add a coat of sealer but I didn't have any on hand so I will have to do that ASAP.  Now for the beloved before/after photos! 

BeFoRe:
AFTeR:

BeFoRe:
AFTeR:


I have to be honest, I wasnt so sure this project was going to work. Im so glad it did! i can't wait to do the second mat and have a matching set! Stay tuned for more kitchen makeover ideas! 

Blessings!









3 comments:

Unknown said...

Neato idea! Spray paint works wonders.

Cindy said...

What a great idea! I have never thought of doing that or even seen it before. Don't you LOVE spray paint!
Hugs, Cindy

Sweet European Dreams said...

adorable! I would have never thought to paint these - thanks for sharing! -diane