Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My Grandma's Quilt

by Holly

My family does not keep things.  If it is "old" we tend to throw it out, or put it out on the curb for the Salvation Army.  Passing on family heirlooms seems like a foreign concept in our circle, until recently.  We moved my grandmother out of the house that she has lived in for the past 40 years, and I got a chance to set aside some special things.
One of those things is the quilt my grandmother made to celebrate the bicentennial.  She lived about 8 hours away when I was growing up, so trips to Grandma and Grandpa's were always a fun vacation.  My sister and I would stay in one of her guest rooms (picture floor to ceiling thimble cases and needle point art).  It had two twin beds with one of these quilts on each one.  I have some very fond memories of sleeping in that room with my sister and wrapping up in my quilt at night.
When we moved her out, I asked her if I could have one (my sister has the other one).  At this point, they are pretty faded and definitely show some wear and tear.  But I couldn't wait to get mine cleaned up and find it a place of honor in our home.  Wanna see it?
I know that this pic doesn't do it justice.  Each flower is a different patriotic print fabric.  It is so happy and I LOVE it!

  My goal this week is to write my grandma a letter telling her how much I appreciate the quilt and showing her it's place of honor.  Maybe she can tell me a little more about it and I can learn it's story.  This is something that I look forward to passing on to my kids.
Do you have any special family pieces?  They are so comforting!  And now mine has a special place (and I have a cozy "new" quilt for my new favorite reading spot).
Makes me want to curl up right now (although it is a bit warm at this point, but soon...).
Happy Tuesday!
Exciting news coming from Mollie tomorrow..... stay tuned.

No comments: