Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Pleasantly Surprised

I love it when you set out to do one project, and then end up doing something different that's works even better!

 It all started with this frame.  I found it on clearance at Target, and the color was perfect for my Big Man's new room.  (He turns 10 next week and we gave him his own room, all decked out for a tween.  More on that later.)

I really wanted to do a kinda message center thing with 4 frames together, but because they were on clearance I couldn't find that many.  So, I decided to use something else for that idea and decided to frame a special verse in this one.

I had seen on pinterest that you can print on freezer paper and then iron it on to fabric.  But, it didn't work when I tried it (I think I waited too long and the ink was too dry), and when using words, I had to type it all out backwards and I couldn't get it right.
 This is my first attempt with freezer paper, forgot to type it out backwards this time and got a backwards verse on the fabric.  Oops.

Through a little trial and error I thought, "why not try to print directly onto the fabric?"

So that is what I did.  And it worked!  Yay!

I used a piece of white cotton fabric and ironed freezer paper onto the back to make it seem like paper, for my printers sake, and to give it more stability.

I cut it to 8 1/2 by 11 size, loaded it into the printer, and then held my breath.

I was pleasantly surprised that it worked, without getting jammed or any major smudges.  (There was a smudge at the top, but I was able to cut that piece off.)

Then I pulled off that freezer paper, trimmed it up, and put it in the frame.  So easy!
 And now it has a place of honor on Jackson's shelf, and can remind him of an awesome promise from God.  (Sorry for the picture quality, but it was so dark in his room when I took the pic.)

I love it when things turn out easier and better than you had planned.

Has that happened to you?  Yay!

Happy Tuesday everyone!
 

No comments: