Thursday, July 7, 2011

Summer Staple Strawberry Freeze

by Holly

Hey everyone!  I promised that today I would post my favorite summer dessert recipe.  Now I am not a huge strawberry fan, but this dessert has the perfect amount of fruitiness combined with the easiest cookie crust you can imagine.  It is a staple in my house during the summer.  I usually make it for get togethers, and then proceed to eat all the leftovers (much to my families dismay).
I was introduced to this recipe after I had my second child.  I have pretty bad postpartum issues, and food is definitely the way I cope.  After my first son was born it was lemon cooler cake from Costco.  Second time around, strawberry freeze that was brought to us by a family in our church.  Third time around I had drugs, so I was good that time.  (Don't tell Tom Cruise)
I love this recipe (have you gotten that yet?).  Here is the finished product...
Here's what you need:
chips ahoy cookies
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar (I actually substitute with 2 1/2 teaspoons Splenda)
12 oz. frozen berry juice concentrate
1 cup crushed strawberries
8 oz. cool whip

Start by placing the cookies in a springform pan to make the crust...
How easy is that?  And, you have some cookies left over to snack on while you make the topping.
For the topping, beat the cream cheese (fat free cream cheese works well if you are wanting to cut down a bit on fat content) and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.  Gradually add the juice concentrate, beating well after each addition.  Add the crushed strawberries.  I use a food processor to get them nice and juicy...
Add cool whip, stir with wire whisk until all blended.  Pour over cookies and freeze.
So simple, and soooo yummy!
Hope you all get a chance to make this for your family and friends this summer (or just for yourself, if you so wish:)  Enjoy!
Happy Thursday!

No comments: